When a doctor makes a mistake, it can result in a serious health problem or even death.

Who can be involved in a medical malpractice claim?

On Behalf of | Dec 2, 2017 | Surgical Errors |

If you are like many people who live in Washington State, when you  hear about or think about a medical malpractice claim, you may automatically think about a doctor or a surgeon as being the individuals against which an action has been initiated. While certainly these professionals may well be the subject of such claims, they are far from the only options you have when it becomes necessary for you to seek compensation after a medical error.

As explained by the Washington State Legislature, you may even pursue action for compensation or damages from an entity or health care business as well as from an individual. This might include a nursing home, a medical clinic, hospital or even a health maintenance organization. In addition, your effort to be compensated for a medical mistake may be directed at an employee of various levels including directors or executives of any of these types of businesses.

In addition to surgeons and doctors, other individuals may also be involved in your medical error claim. These include nurses, physical therapists, chiropractors, pharmactists, dentist, physician’s assistants, osteopaths and psychiatrists among others. If the person you allege was involved in the error has since died, you may pursue action and compensation against their estate or personal representatitve.

This information is not intended to provide legal advice but is instead meant to give Washington residents an idea of the range of people that may be included in a claim for compensation due to an alleged act of medical malpractice.